Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Out of the Hospital

Last night when I was falling asleep, I was nervous about the unveling of the foot and what if something had gone wrong etc., ect. My mind was doing its refusal to shut down routine. However, with the help of my night pain meds, I finally got some sleep.

This morning, I woke up like a kid on Christmas, filled with anticipation and anxious to see lefty again. The plastic surgeons showed up around 7:30 and removed the vacuum version 2 and the unveiling proceeded without a hitch. Everyone says that the graft looks successful and that it should heal in well. That is good, because right now it still looks like I have a hole in my foot. However, I am sure that it will heal beautifully. So, the official word was given at 7:45 am, I could leave. I couldn't hurry everyone along enough and finally at 2 pm we were ready to leave. My friend, Tricia, showed up at the hospital to drive us to the hotel (a whole 6 blocks, but we are from California and we had a lot of stuff, and I can't walk) and we loaded me, my parents, a wheelchair, crutches, my stuff, flowers, balloons etc. into Tricia's car and drove the 1/2 mile to the hotel where the whole procedure was repeated. I loved feeling the crisp air when we were out briefly and coming into the hotel room that doesn't smell like hospital. Yeah, for surviving 5 days of bedrest. Yeah, for surviving 13 days and 12 nights in the hospital. Yeah, for my family and friends who have kept me sane through it all.



Me and my friend Vas, who flew down from Pittsburgh to be with us the first week on the day she left.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! Hopefully I can comment successfully this time.

How long do you think you will be in NY? Another few weeks.

Anonymous said...

OK. That was from me, Suz. If I picked anonymous, I could post, but then forgot to put my name.

Unknown said...

Yay! We are so happy for you! Being a patient sucks and by all reports, you have been a stellar one. Thanks for proving that not all doctors make bad patients.

**HUGS**

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Your my hero!

Anonymous said...

Kudos to KTP for coming up with the blog idea and to Lisa for following through. There is nothing worse than being stuck in a hospital for a long time and feeling completely isolated from all of the people you care about. It has been great to stay connected and to know how you are doing! V-L