Friday, December 15, 2006

Happy Birthday To Me

Happy Birthday to me. Yesterday was my birthday, I celebrated doing more disability forms (not so fun but necessary), my physical therapy and then spending the rest of the day in the following order decorating my house with my mom, taking myself out for a much needed massage and then a wonderful dinner with my parents. I also put a moratorium on discussion of anything that related to cancer or prosthetic feet. As a result of the above measures I had a wonderful relaxing day.
Today I am getting ready for my birthday party that my friends are throwing for me, and I just got a call from my friend at Sloan Kettering who has been coordinating things for me out there. An aside: Not too many people are lucky enough to have a good friend who is an MD PhD specializes in sarcomas at one of the nations best cancer hospitals coordinated their care; however, I do and I fully appreciate it. Anyway, my friend just called and gave me on the best birthday presents- apparently the pathologists at Sloan Kettering have reviewed my pathology and have come up wtih a different diagnosis for me. Yes, I still have cancer, but now I have myxoid liposarcoma instead of extraskeletal myxoid chondrosarcoma. Now you might not think that still having cancer was good news, but this new cancer is 1) radiation sensitive and 2) less aggressive. Therefore, surgery doesn't have to be as aggressive, meaning I'll probably be able to keep my foot. I'll learn more when I meet with the doctors but for now a little of the weight of this whole thing is lifted from my shoulders, and I plan to have fun with my friends tonight and celebrate my left foot rather than cursing it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

I've had so many questions about what's going on with your foot...so glad you did this blog!
My yoga forum buddies on www.movingintostillness.com have been sending you healing love. Can I send them the link to this blog so they can know more about your story?
So glad to hear about option 4! Here's to December birthdays!(mine was yesterday!)

Mary Watson

Dr. Lisa said...

Thank you for your positive thoughts and for asking about sharing the link to my blog. Yes, it is fine to share it. I just hope that people don't get tired of me. Happy birthday to you and your mom. I think of you when I do my pilates each morning. We'll keep in touch