Sunday, February 24, 2008

Just Like Riding a Bike- Almost

I did it. I had my first day of skiing on my new ankle and it was fantastic. There was a light snowfall all day making it not too cold, the visibility not too bad and a perfect dusting of Colorado powder on top of the packed snow. Ideal conditions for skiing, but not so great for photos. Last night i got my skis tuned and waxed, this morning I woke up with an exciting sense of fear- would I still be able to ski, would I remember how to ski. After a protein heavy breakfast, I headed out to the ski shop to get my newly tuned skis, the boots felt funny on my scar, but not bad. Up the gondola I went and then I decided to take it easy with some nice relaxing groomers and it was amazing. Just like I remembered except that my exercise routine has made it so that my thighs no longer burn in the skiing position, but my ankle only could do so much. I stuck to the groomers ( of course the blue and black diamond groomers), but I could control my skis, I could do it. I was so happy. Poor lefty pooped out around 2 after at least 12-15 runs, so I gave in and am icing Lefty before going to the hot tub. Then I have to proceed to the work portion of this trip. Still I am so happy to be able to ski. Thank you, thank you.

3 comments:

Doctor David said...

Congratulations! How awesome to be back on the slopes again!

rlbates said...

Just want to echo Dr David's comment. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I hope you have a great time. I was shocked that I think my lefty knee might actually hold out waterskiing, but would not dare to try on snow.

Send pics when you get back....

Love,
Suzanne